I want to take this moment to wish everyone a happy new year! Often the beginning of a new year is a time “resolutions” are made for the upcoming year. There is one resolution I would like to propose – get a baseline hearing test. It does not matter how young you are; it is important to know where your hearing levels are today. Once you have a baseline, it can then be monitored throughout your lifetime. A hearing assessment consists of the following:
- Discussion about your hearing history
- Otoscopy – looking in your ear canals
- Immittance testing – evaluating your middle ear function and reflexes
- Pure tone testing – listening for “beeps”, while sitting in the sound booth
- Speech testing – repeating words back, while sitting in the sound booth
- Discussion of your test results and answering any questions you may have
Start this year off right, and get your ears tested!